I am definitely a sugar addict and am one of those people who craves something sweet after every meal. I have come to terms with this addiction of mine, which I believe it truly is, but if I am going to have something sweet I’d much rather it be homemade then some store-bought crude. Making something yourself can give you control over the ingredients and give you an amazingly delicious treat that has more than 1/2 the amount of toxins, GMOS, sugar and calories compared to something that is mass produced. So here’s a look at my recipe for Fluffy Vegan Sugar Cookies with some topping choice as well!
Fluffy Vegan Sugar Cookies…What You’ll Need:
I am a firm believer of working with what you have which is why many times I live the ingredients to not be specific on what type of sugar. flour, oil etc. Substitutes are always welcome and can make for a great turnout or at the very least a tasty experiment…
1/2 Cup Vegan Butter
2/3 Cup Sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
3 Tbsp Aquafaba
3/4 Tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
2 1/2 Cups Flour of Choice
1/3 Cup Corn Starch
1 Tbsp Almond Milk
What to Use and When and How to Use it:
1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees and set aside cookie sheets with parchment paper
2. soften Earth Balance Vegan Butter by placing in microwave for a brief 15 seconds. If you have more time and have planned to make these cookies you could leave the butter out at room temperature in advance. Once the correct amount of butter is softened, add it to your large mixing bowl.
3.Next measure and add sugar of your choice and vanilla extract. Give a quick little whip to these ingredients.
4. Add Aquafaba. Aquafaba is the liquid left behind after draining chickpeas. Another egg substitute you can use is Pumpkin Puree which I found made the cookies a little more dense. You could also create a flax or chia seed “egg”. It all just really comes down to what you have available. Once Egg Substitute is in, give ingredients another mix.
5. Add baking powder, salt, flour and cornstarch. Mix until everything is very thick and probably sticky. Add almond milk and mix again. The should be moldable and firm, if too soft add more flour and cornstarch, but if too thick than add more almond milk.
6. Cover mixing bowl and let dough sit for 10 minutes in the refrigerator
After Dough has chilled, scoop tablespoon sized amounts with a spoon and roll in hand, slightly flattened and place onto parchment paper. Should yield about 12 cookies, give or take. Baking time is around 12 minutes or until cookies are slightly golden on top.
To create Thumbprint cookies:
Press thumb into dough once each cookie is on parchment paper and add a small drop of jam.
To make Strawberry jam
- Put strawberries in blender and blend until liquidy. No Sugar, no additives. Just delicious real strawberry goodness
To make Strawberry Cheesecake Cookies
Use my Maple Cream Cheese Recipe and said directions above to make strawberry jam. Once Fluffy Vegan Sugar cookies are baked frost with Cream Cheese and add a dollop of strawberrt jam. Each cookie turns into a bite sized Cheesecake, and is filling and crave-quenching in one.